Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 22

Day 22 in the books!  We woke up in hot springs this morning after a good night sleep and decided to get an early start. We were on road by 730, up the mountains we went on north side of hot springs. The first part of day was straight up and blew up our calf's. A lot people have been getting sick in between hot springs and Erwin the next town we come across.  As we were walking Kayla started to get a little nauseous so we took it easy for awhile. It eventually passed and we continued on. The shelters after hot springs are spaced stupid so either we had an 11 mile or 19.6 to get to the shelter.  I didn't even think I heard the challenge of the 19.6 and that's what we did. We set new personal record for us being longest we hiked in a day at 19.6 woot woot. Our bodies are def changing and getting used to miles better.  It was still a hard day but we are not as fatigued when we are done. We haven't been seeing as much wildlife here but i don't think we are state park so in think there is hunting here so animals are less and more easily spoked.  When we got to camp there was already 2 people here.  We set up our tent today because shelters get old.  Both the people here are section hikers.  One is Vietnam vet with a purple heart and another guy just traveling around united States. As I was making my dinner of ramen and instant garlic mashed potatoes another group of people showed up. Two middle aged guys and a younger kid. None were related one puts on hikes for friends and these 2 wanted to come.  I talked to one of the guys named Jose for hours.  We worked for NASA  for last 17 years before the govt cancelled all there programs.  He was a very smart man and I learned a lot from him. We all hung out for rest of night. Kayla and I our now going to bed we had long day and hopefully we feel good in morning we can have another good day.

Note on today the weather was perfect.

I could really go for some grandmas cooking right about now.

Kayla and I can't wait to see our familys again we talked about them a lot today.

Erwin Tennessee is our next resupply. 

I don't know if I mentioned this but my birthday is national hike naked day haha

Talk to you guys tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. Love the pic of Kayla jumping. Congrats on the 19.6...Your birthday could be very interesting this year in sooooo many ways. Love you guys....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pics! If I did a jump like kayla, I would break my legs! O to be young again. About the birthday thing,you would end up being a walking bug bite.They would love you! I wish you could see the humming birds on their little swing.I think I told you we made one for them. it is really cute.Im watching them as I type.I have to say,you don't look so tired today. You guys are doing great!! Love and hugs, Gma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. Yeah. I'm definitely sure you guys are building some pretty good stamina trekking all the miles, up and down on different terrain. Still loving the pics. I'm sure once you guys get back, some of your grandma's cooking will be welcomed. I'm thinking a huge plate of bacon and French fries!! And a side of eggs. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man good to see all is well on the trail. Just sitting at Neas today your missing out on all the fun back here (not..) But for real man hope your having fun out there

    ReplyDelete