Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 11

Day 11 holyyyyy elevationnn.   We did 16.8 today. That's all we did today lol we started a mile from a lil store and white water rafting store this morning. It was the lowest elevation around 1700 ft from there is was non stop ups for 4 hours we climbed and climbed. We reached well over 5000 ft at the highest part. After we reached the top we were denied any views. All in all it sucked lol . After wards we had a series of bunny hills that last the next 9 miles all which weren't to bad until the end. We had to go up a stretch called Jacobs ladder and let you me tell you what. I about fainted lol. For those people close to me they know how much I sweat . For those who don't it looked like I just got out of a pool all day long. I was soaked I couldn't replace water fast enough . I probably pounded close to 2 gallons of water today and I never took a pee. Going up Jacobs ladder I started to get a lil funky but my baby was there to pick me up and we knocked last part out . 

Today was another great day for wildlife. We saw a total of 5 snakes. One of them was a massive black racer. He had to be around 4 foot long. Also Kayla and I had a mini heart attack from being scared so bad. We were walking down the trail and then all of the sudden we hear a loud russelling about 10 yds in front of us just off the trail . All I saw was a basketball size brown thing moving around making this freaky sound. Kayla and I were freaking out. Then the blur jumps on the trail makes some more weird noises and runs down away from us. Haha It was one of those birds I was talking about yesterday . Like a chicken or something . It made these crazy sounds and was trying to pull us away from it's nest where it had babies. We followed the peeps from them and we found them. I couldn't get over how they blended in. They look just like leaves . Pretty awesome stuff. 

Some side notes 

Last night looked like a scene out of the movie avatar, after we went to bed we looked out side of tent and everything was glowing. There was so many lightning bugs it was crazy.

Tonight for dinner I ate 3 packs of ramen noddles... Like a boss

We saw 3 kids hiking with a mom. If they complete half the trail the 2 youngest kids will be the youngest to ever hike that far on the AT. They had to be around 4 or 5. We heard them from hundred of yards away singing jingle bells . I felt bad for mom her pack weighed over 50 pounds carrying stuff for all 3 kids.

Jeff asked me In a comment what we eat  on the daily. Our daily food is a pop tart for breakfast then we snack on everything and anything until dinner. Today I have 4 energy / protien bars , plus peanut m&ms some small snickers . A whole bag of flavored pretzels. Then I had 3 packs of ramen noddles with some   Cheeseits.
 
Kayla eats a lot too maybe not as much as me but def more then she did back at home . 

And too DD no way the spurs are winning it all this year 


That's half the snake rapped around tree 
Can you spot the baby below in second pic




 


4 comments:

  1. Jacobs Ladder in the bible was a vision that Jacob had of a Ladder/Staircase that had angels ascending and descending from heaven. Jacob saw god at the top and god told him, "Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." (Genesis 28:15, ESV) Then Jacob said, ""If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you." (Genesis 28:20-22, ESV) I had to copy this. I have heard of the story, but believe me I didn't know the quotes from Genesis..

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyday seems to be an adventure for you. no matter how big or small. "mother bird protecting her babies" nature is very busy and serious as you are finding out. in our busy lives we miss all this and what nature is all about. take time to look about for the earth is beautiful and very serious. what memories you will have for a life time. take care!! love and miss you! gma and gpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're enjoying this time. It sounds awesome! We kind of wish we were hiking it with you two. Yeah, definitely keep that water intake up. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. missed you guys tonight. no blog. hope your day went well. as always, miss you.

    ReplyDelete