Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 9


Hello again ! We finally made it to camp today. Today was a longgggg dayyyyy but I will tell you how I went to bed last night. We staid in long branch shelter last night. It was our first time staying in a shelter, we usually just camp around the shelter a tent spots but we thought we try cause it's a newly built one. The shelter itself was very nice. Plenty of space, places to hang gear it had an upstairs loft. I even think it sleeps 16 comfortably. Anywho we were all cozy in our sleeping bags, Kayla is Already asleep like usual. I swear she is asleep as soon as head hits pillow,even before trail. But me I stay awake for 10 to 15mins but last night I couldn't sleep because scampering of little feet ...lots of little feet and by little feet I mean mice.  Shelters Are notorious for having loads of mice because people leave so much food and trash behind. So I was up for a bit listening to those guys. A cool thing kinda about mice is when it gets dark the trees come alive with owls hooting away. Just waiting for one of the mice to come out of shelter . There had to be a couple of owls in trees around shelter last night.

As for today we got a pretty early start on trail around 650. We hiked for 7ish miles till we got to winding stair gap then we hitch hiked into franklin North Carolina. It's are second time hitch hiking and we got picked up pretty quick. A local who picks all hitch hikers she sees. She drove us right to the store we wanted to go. We were very thankful. Then we headed over to biglots bout weigh to much food. You start buying food by how much it weighs not by how it taste haha.  Thennnn we headed over to Pizza Hut haha got a large pizza sat down and ate whole thing lol. We hitch hiked out of town pretty quick again and nice older gentlemen who used to work on trails pick us up and dropped us off. After we got back on trail it was all up for the next 11 miles slowly then steep parts then it drop quick then right back up . I didn't mine today though because I have a marble size blister on pinky toe and uphills don't bother it so bad . We had another great view today. It's called wayah bald stone tower . Google it there pics will prob be better then  ours . When you get up to a view like that it makes your whole day worth it .

Side note we were on feet hiking for over 11 hours today . Hiked total of 18.3 miles . Then for dinner I ate 1600+ calories of peanut m&ms haha that's a whole giant bag and I'm still starving haha. O and I hiked most the day in my crocs because they don't hit blister but you feel every root and rock so I switch out .

Kayla is a camp like usual and only think bothered her today was her bladder and knee lol she pees a lot haha. 

P.s.s 
I really miss nba playoff basketball :(




2 comments:

  1. day 8 u both looked tired and rightfully so.gpa and I r very proud of both of u. quite the adventure you're on. beautiful landscape! I asked gpa to build me a little swing 4 the humming birds. we put it by their feeder. now they drink and swing,so cute. going 2 try and take a picture of them swinging. everything is very green now and flowers r blooming. keep busy out side. eagle came in. didn't catch any fish. has 2 tire him out all that diving. watch out 4 all those critters, big and small. Take care of each other. tell Kayla we send our love and 2 you. miss you,gma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to eat peanut M&Ms for dinner!!!!! The pics are beautiful, looks like you had awesome weather today.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete