Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 12 & 13

Hello hello hello ! Sorry we didn't get to blog last night. And we don't have good service now so we may not post this tonight it might upload sometime tomorrow. I'm writing this Saturday night the 24th . We had been in bad cell area. 

Sooooo let me inform you on all the crazy  events that have been going on ! So the last time I blogged I said there was supposed to be a thunder storm.  Well as soon as I posted blog we got hit by a rolling thunder storm as they call them here . They don't last long but there are wicked. I don't think I ever seen winds so fast . Branches and trees were falling everywhere. I thought our tent was about to be flying away with Kayla in it haha. I was in shelter the time it hit talking to guy named bandit who we been seeing every night for last 6 nights. I went out and braved storm and crawled into tent all soaked and for next 30 mins all I could think about was a branch falling on our tent ha.  Morning came and Kayla said we actually did get hit my a small branch and it woke her up but of course I slept through it. That day we had an easier 13 mile hike to Fontana damn marina where we can get a ride into Fontana village. My calfs were destroyed from the elevation the day before so the 13 miles were eeeee lil rough even the the terrian wasn't  bad. The first 4 hours of our morning all Kayla and I talked about was family and friends. I think it was first time since we really started that it kinda hit us that we weren't going home soon and we are missing the summer with everyone . We talked about growing up. I talked about all my amazing cousins and all the fun we had at grandmas. I also talked about mom and how great of childhood I had always doing amazing trips and vacations. I talked about Colin Dave and Eddie and how we called ourselfs the quad pod hahaha all the dumb stuff we did ha. Kayla talked about same things. She talked about growing up with brother and sister and dad and  mom and all the great vacations and trips she got to go on.  And I'm not kidding we talked for hours and hours and hours about everyone In family's and every awesome story we ever had. After the stories we made It to FONTANA DAMN !!! We hitched hiked into the village which was a nifty little place it's all set up for people coming to area for the Dragons Tail . All you biker / car guys might know about it . People come from all over the world to drive the 11 mile stretch that has 380 bends in road . Our shuttle driver said 10 ish people die each year on it . Bikers and sporty cars were all that was there ! It was a crazy site. In the village there is like 100 cabins and only 2 food places.haha so went to cheapest which wasn't cheap lol and asked to get seated they asked if we were hikers and they moved us outside in the corner hahahaha I guess we were stinking to bad to sit with everyone inside haha. After that we went to general store and got supplies for next 3 days on trail and did laundry. Other hikers showed up as we were doing laundry and we all just hung out there for awhile eating all kinds of junk food. After laundry was done we headed back to trail head by shuttle with everyone and said at shelter there called the "Hilton" haha it's supposed to be one of nicest on trail. It's nice for a shelter but that's about it . There were a good group of people there so night was awesome just kicking it with everyone. At night 4 of us went over to the damn and got to see it all lit up. It was an amazing site. We got a late start today because we have to have permits to enter the great smokie mountains and we can only get them in the village so we had to pay for another shuttle. But yes we did start the THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS . And of course we started straight up haha the smoky mountains have one of highest black bear capita per mile on the appalachian trail. We def noticed there presence. Soonwe saw a lot of bear poop haha AND about 10 miles in we heard crash crash bang bang and looked up in a tree about 40 yards away and this bear came crawling down the tree and took off . It was a pretty cool thing. We saw the biggest toad I ever seen today I will post pic of him. We are at shelter tonight because we have to stay at them in the smokies. But here is some bs, since we are thru hikers we can get bumped at shelter from day and section hikers. They can reserve a spot online and the shelter only holds so many people so they can show up 2 hours later then you and you have to move for them but you can't set up tent until shelter is full lol it's all se stupied rules of here. But as of right now I have a spot and if sometime tries to say we have to move I might say some other choice words haha. I hope this posts tonight but don't freak we are fine lol miss you guys.

It loos like blog posted but we can't do pictures tonight so re check tomorrow on this post for pics we have some good ones!



3 comments:

  1. I love you both! I am afraid of bears, birds, coons, mice...I am petrified of snakes! I smell my own stink after an hour at thr gym, can't imagine a day without a shower. You're making me so PROUD! God Bless you. So happy you're experiencing this. Much love! Ma'ma Wyckoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very familiar with the dragon. I've been on it a few times. The great smoky mountains are awesome also. I've been there while visiting my friend Rick in Tennessee. Glad you guys are having fun. Stay safe and keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you have to stay at shelters in the Smokies??

    ReplyDelete